The Science of developing mental toughness
Mental strength/toughness/fortitude is that psychological capacity that allows people to regularly perform to the best of their abilities regardless of circumstances faced, be they positive, negative, or benign.
You have a measure of mental strength in you. Everyone does. It’s just that your overall happiness and quality of life largely depends on how you use it and how well you use it. There is always room for improvement even if your mind is as strong as an ox. The stronger you become, the more likely you are to achieve your goals, live according to your values, have the most joy, and make a meaningful contribution to society. Yaay, that’s the goal!
Oh well, we sure have talent, intelligence, and smartness as factors to succeeding. We often talk about the most brilliant scientist in the lab or the most skilled football player on the field. But, here is a reality – talent is overrated, and success necessitates talent and more. In fact, intelligence barely accounts for 30% of your performance, according to some recent research. So, what then makes the more significant impact? Mental toughness does!
Mental fortitude can help you achieve more in the following ways: you can healthily navigate your emotions; You can persevere in the face of looming obstacles. Aside from being able to silence self-doubt, you also have the will to reject unhelpful counsel. When you have a solid mental foundation, you find it easier to recover from failure.
Just like our body muscles need healthy food and training before they can be adept, our mental muscles also require exercise to grow stronger. You must go through the various stages to ultimately achieve your level of success.
Here are a few mental push-ups you can begin with to develop more strength:
- Create a new compelling belief. You can fine-tune your skills and talents. You are incredible. Expect positive outcomes from the tasks you are currently working on. Of course, there is no limit to your strength. Believe so💃!
- View your failure from a different perspective. Accept the fact that failure can be a possibility. In today’s world, we are easily broken as a result of unexpected failure. Give failure a chance; Allow it to show you a better understanding of what you did wrong.
- Skyrocket your self-awareness. Take time to learn about your abilities and gifts. Concentrate on your strengths as well as your flaws. Recognize your turn-offs so you can avoid them as much as possible.
- Let challenges be your new best friend. Life, in general, is a continuous forward motion with mountains to surmount. Some are small hills, while others will seem like you’re climbing the tallest mountain in the world. Yet, understand that each mountain you climb makes you a more robust and better person. You get a chance to find a new degree of success beyond anything you’ve ever imagined.
- Respond to fear with composure. Even though emotional highs and lows abound in life, being able to ride this emotional rollercoaster healthily is critical to living your best life. A stronger mental muscle will ensure that you know how to relax, cheer yourself up, or face your fears. Instead of avoiding pain, be willing to work through complex issues that make you feel anxious, sad, or embarrassed.
- Love takes you to the top. Love your trade. If that does not seem like it now, consider falling in love now. It’s never too late. You will ascend to success more organically when you have a growth attitude and enjoy what you do.
- Tenacity that ignites. Tenacity, or resilience, is the ability to persevere through adversity and bounce back from setbacks. With tenacity, you do not understand the concept of giving up. You can, slip, yes, but keep pushing forward to find that excellence.
- Control your attention. Concentrate only on what is relevant while minimizing irrelevant information.
Your mental strength can grow stronger. When you have that, along with your will and commitment, you will find a better version of yourself waiting on the other side, and that is a life you can live and enjoy right now. To strengthen your muscles, start your push-ups now!
Cheers to the stronger you.🥂