When you have a friend or neighbor who is very sick, and you help to meet some of their pressing needs at such a time, you would have gone a very long way in encouraging them in their time of weakness.
Health is the most precious thing in life. Many tend to fall ill a lot — sometimes due to genetic problems, genotype issues, environmental challenges, to name a few. A period of illness is time lost that can never be regained. Knowing that one is unable to accomplish set goals due to illness can be disheartening.
However, there are many ways that you can encourage someone battling an illness. You can:
- Help them purchase their medications. If they can afford their drugs, you can offer to make the purchase for them. If they can’t afford to buy their medications and you’re buoyant enough to do so, you can always help them meet this need to help them get better.
- Help them with chores they would have done if they had been well.
- Offer to sponsor bills/fees that they would have paid had they been well
- Pray for them. As the Holy Writ says, the prayer of faith shall save the sick.
- Call them on the phone to check on on them
- Visit them with other friends and keep them company. If possible, you can all watch an edifying movie together.
- Send Scripture passages via sms that speak healing and encouragement to them
- Share testimonies of other people who have been healed from similar illnesses
These are just a few ways that you can help encourage a friend or a neighbor who is battling an illness. Do you have more ideas? Please share in the comment section below.