A popular quote says ” Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. Healthy living is not a fluke, thereby making it uneasy to practice. Most of us find it difficult to eat foods that will profit our health.
As a result of living in a fast-paced world, this has affected our eating habits negatively. We are all looking for a “quick fix”, leading us to adopt the junk lifestyle.
Before we dive into ways we can be intentional about our nutrition, it is important to know what nutrition entails. Nutrition is the study of nutrients and how our body utilizes them. Also, it deals with how the diet we consume affect our health. If we want to be productive, it is essential to be intentional about our diet.
Ways to be intentional about our nutrition
- Don’t neglect your breakfast: Someone once said ” Eat breakfast like a king”. Another person said “a good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day. Eating breakfast gives us energy that will enable us to get things done. Maintaining your blood sugar level is necessary and eating a balanced breakfast provides you with calories that will enable you to get through the day feeling energized.
- Embrace the fruits and vegetable culture: What better way to keep our body healthy than to eat fruits. Not only does fruit provides us with essential vitamins and minerals but it also helps boost our immunity by providing us with antioxidants. As a result, there is a reduction in the risk of developing certain diseases. Fruits also help keep our skin healthy by eliminating free radicals, thereby making our skin ” Pop”.
- Shun Snacks: Snacks contain empty calories which do not benefit our health but instead can cause obesity. It also increases the risk for tooth decay, developing heart disease. If you are ever going to take snacks, don’t make it part of your everyday diet.
- Make Water Your Friend: Imagine having a friend you cannot do without conversing with, such is the relationship of water to our body. Water helps in thermoregulation ( helps to regulate our body temperature), elimination of waste either through perspiration, defecation, or urination. For effective digestion, adequate intake of water is necessary.
- Plan An Adequate Diet: An adequate diet is one that provides us with vitamins, minerals needed for growth and strength. All classes of food should be in the right proportion, that will promote healthy living.
Remember Daniel who purposed in his heart that he will not defile himself of the king’s meat, despite not eating the food prepared by King Nebuchadnezzar servants, his countenance was fairer and fatter than those who ate out of the king’s meat.
In Matthew 4:4, Jesus Christ said ” Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. In as much as we want to live healthily and be intentional about our nutrition, it should also be noted that our spirit man also needs nourishment and this can be achieved by constantly reading and meditating on God’s Word.
So, dear friend, be like Joshua who said “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shall meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous and then thou shalt have good success” – Joshua 1:8